How do I become a volunteer?
*Please note: We are currently winding down ongoing volunteer shift recruitment for the year. However, we always need event volunteers! Anyone can sign up to be an event volunteer at any time by getting on our volunteer update list here.
- Complete a volunteer inquiry form (link to form here). You’ll receive a confirmation email that includes information about volunteering at HVZ and the opportunity to attend one of our informational meetings.
- Attend an informational meeting! These Zoom sessions are an excellent way to meet our Volunteer Coordinator and other staff. We take time to go over a bit about HVZ, what to expect, and the various roles we have available throughout the year.
- Apply OR get on the email list! We will send you an application with your confirmation email. Should you choose an ongoing role, you can fill it out. If you’re more ready for one-time/event opportunities, then no need to fill out an application. We will put you on our email list so you can reach out whenever you see something interesting.
- Ongoing volunteers
- Upon applying, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a schedule and a log-in to access our volunteer scheduling database. There, you’ll take a general orientation (1-1.5hrs pre-recorded) that goes over everything they need to know about volunteering at HVZ.
- The week before your first day, you’ll receive a welcome email with a guide on where to go and what to expect.
- Your first day, staff will meet you at Volunteer Central to welcome you, get you your shirt/nametag, and take you on a short tour of HVZ before your shift. We train you in as you volunteer – mentoring and guiding you until you feel comfortable on your own.
- Event volunteers
- Keep up with the Volunteer Updates! We send out our updates on a weekly basis, and there is almost always something going on. Whether it’s reading to kids on Orangutan Day, carving pumpkins for animals, or even a lunch & learn with one of our keepers, there are many opportunities that are open to everyone.
- See something cool and let us know. See something you want to get involved with? Just give an email/call. We’ll help you get set up.
- Fill out a brief event application to choose your role/schedule.
- Get trained. Event trainings are sent via email, and come in the form of short slideshows that prep you for the day and your role. It will also tell you where to go the day of.
- Come on in! Staff and Event Leads will be stationed in Volunteer Central to help check you in and get you started. You’ll go to your station and have fun!
- Ongoing volunteers