While we have generally closed ongoing volunteer roles for the 2022 season, we do have a few weekly train/carousel shifts that we are still looking to fill. Please let us know on the Volunteer Form if you are interested in train/carousel either Monday mornings (10AM-1PM) and/or (Saturday afternoons, 1-4PM).
Don’t just join the fun, make it! Train/Carousel volunteers help make our Children’s Zoo what it is. Working as a team, our train/carousel crew operates the carousel and drives the train. This is a wonderful experience for anyone looking to make friends with a team as the volunteer. All train/carousel volunteers receive regular support from a supervisor throughout their shift.
- Happily greet & welcome Zoo guests
- Always be pleasant to guests; smiles go a long way!
- Know the rules of the rides forward and backward; maintaining a focus on safety.
- Assist with ride set up, cleanup and maintenance before, during or after shift
- Communicate with Supervisor on duty as needed in emergency, in case of maintenance needs, etc
- Maintain focus on Henry Vilas Zoo customer service standards
- Drive Train
- Assist in Loading of Passengers
- Communicate Required Safety Messages
- Greet Waiting Guests
- Take Tickets
- Help Load/Unload Train
- Operate Carousel
- Remain Within Reach of Emergency Shut-off Button During Ride Operation
- Take Tickets
- Greet Guests at Entrance and Exit of Ride
- Generally able to switch between sitting and standing comfortably.* (Please talk to us if you need accommodations. This is certainly something we do with all our T/C volunteers.)
- Train volunteers must be able to tolerate warm, sunny weather and cool weather. (train doesn’t operate in rainy weather)
- Friendly & conscientious
- Outgoing, patient & self-confident
- Enjoy children and families
- Enjoy working as part of a team