We love our event crew! Event volunteers help us make our Zoo fun during and after hours. They get the chance to experience HVZ when we bring out all the stops for holidays, conservation days and private rentals. Event volunteering requires little to no training, and is a great way to experience the Zoo without the long term commitment.
Upcoming 2022 events include, but are not limited to: Conservation Days (throughout the year), corporate nights (summer/fall), Run Wild (September), Boo at the Zoo (October), Zoo Lights (Nov/Dec).
Event volunteers do not need to complete the application for an ongoing role. Email/call us to get our our volunteer email list with weekly updates on upcoming opportunities, then reach out again if you see something that piques your interest.
Requirements fluctuate based on the event. However, most events require volunteers to be at least 10 years old with a parent/guardian, and 14 years old to volunteer individually.
Every event is different, but there are some roles we commonly need help with:
- Assist with set-up and clean-up
- Welcome guests
- Register participants
- Direct guests and vendors
- Help with line control
- Help kids meet Santa
- Paint faces
- Read stories
- Hand out chalk and bubbles
- And more! It depends on the event!
- Ability to work with others and take direction
- Hard-working and dependable
- Able to work outside in all weather spring-fall (except in hazardous or overly-cold situations)
- Friendly and engaging personality
- Able to lift 25-50 pounds (necessary for some tasks)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Able to be understood over Zoo radio
- Attention to detail
- Ability to make independent decision to aid guests