This position will open for new volunteers in 2023! In the meantime, you can fill out a Volunteer Interest Form here. We’ll get you on our email list so you’ll be the first to know when the role becomes available for the season.
Pop in and lend a helping hand! Our Painting Crew volunteers help our grounds staff with the arduous work of painting and maintaining our many fences throughout the Zoo. Unlike other volunteer roles which have set shifts, Painting Crew volunteers will be added to a text message list and will receive a notification when we’re getting ready for a shift. We do this because good weather is essential for painting, and we want to make sure we’re out on a day without rain!
This role is excellent for those who want to get involved, but may not be able to commit to a set weekly schedule. This role is also for those who enjoy working with their hands. Our painting crew will be working directly with our Grounds Technician, and should expect to sit, stand, walk, climb (to an extent) and otherwise traverse the Zoo while painting as a group
- Work with & take direction from the HVZ Grounds Technician
- Paint metal railings throughout the Zoo
- Communicate supply, guest and/or animal needs to HVZ staff as necessary
No previous experience necessary; however, volunteers should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Commitment & dependability
- Ability to work outside in all manner of weather conditions (we will cancel in the event of inclement weather)
- Ability to bend, lift, and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to follow directions and work safely
- Comfort with working alone or in a small group on a set project
- Excellent communication
- Must be 18+yrs old
- Must be able to be contacted by text
Online trainings: HVZ general orientation