Help make our Zoo beautiful! Gardeners at HVZ set their own hours. This is an excellent opportunity for those who may want to be outside but not around many people, as gardeners can enter Zoo grounds along with staff starting at 8AM (HVZ opens to the public at 9:30AM).
Gardening volunteers must be able to identify basic weeds and plants. They should be comfortable with weeding, mulching and, to a degree, planting.
Master gardeners strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide general care and concern for designated garden/grounds area
- Mulch, weed or water to help maintain the gardens
- Plant new exhibits or beds as needed
- Rake leaves and sweep grounds
- Help with other gardening/grounds projects as available
- Work with staff to recognize and eradicate invasive species
- Work with Zookeepers to create and maintain browse areas
- Able to demonstrate a sense of responsibility
- Able to sit, stand, lift easily
- Able to stand or sit for 2 hours at a time
- Able to work outside in all weather spring-fall (except in hazardous or overly-cold situations)
- Has an interest in and some experience with plants