*Gardens will be up for adoption later this spring as the weather and ground begin to warm. Check back soon, OR, email us to get on our volunteer email list to receive updates about gardening, animals and volunteer opportunities.
Help make our Zoo beautiful! Gardeners at HVZ set their own hours. This is an excellent opportunity for those who may want to be outside but not around many people, as gardeners can enter Zoo grounds along with staff starting at 8AM (HVZ opens to the public at 9:30AM).
HVZ provides basic training for gardening volunteers that includes a short tour of the grounds, an introduction to our operations staff, and an overview of gardening tools. HVZ provides gardening volunteers with basic tools. Gardeners can bring their own tools from home – provided they label them, and the tools do NOT include power tools. Gardeners are also prohibited from using or bringing in their own chemical gardening products of any kind.
Master gardeners strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide general care and concern for designated garden/grounds area
- Mulch, weed or water to help maintain the gardens
- Plant new exhibits or beds as needed
- Rake leaves and sweep grounds
- Help with other gardening/grounds projects as available
- Work with staff to recognize and eradicate invasive species
- Able to sit, stand, lift easily
- Able to stand or sit for 2 hours at a time
- Able to work outside in all weather spring-fall (except in hazardous or overly-cold situations)
- Has an interest in and some experience with plants